Ways to Get Cheaper Car Insurance in the UK
- Shop around and compare quotes: One of the most effective ways to find cheaper car insurance is to shop around and compare quotes from different companies. By taking the time to compare quotes, you can see which companies are offering the best rates and choose the one that works best for you.
- Increase your excess: Another way to lower your car insurance premiums is to increase your excess. Your excess is the amount of money you agree to pay towards a claim before your insurer will pay out. By increasing your excess, you can reduce your premiums. Just be sure to choose an excess that you can afford to pay in the event of a claim.
- Improve your driving skills: If you take a driving course or pass an advanced driving test, you may be able to get a discount on your car insurance. These courses and tests can help you improve your driving skills and reduce your risk of having an accident, which can lead to lower premiums.
- Consider telematics: Telematics, or “black box” insurance, is a type of car insurance that tracks your driving habits using a device installed in your car. If you’re a safe driver, you may be able to get a discount on your premiums through a telematics policy.
- Look for discounts: Many car insurance companies offer discounts for things like having a good driving record, being a member of certain organizations, or driving a low-risk vehicle. Be sure to ask about these discounts and see if you’re eligible.
- Bundle your insurance: If you have multiple insurance policies (e.g. car, home, life), you may be able to save money by bundling them together with one insurer. This is because many insurers offer discounts for customers who have multiple policies with them.
- Pay annually: If you have the option to pay your car insurance premiums annually rather than monthly, you may be able to save money. This is because many insurers charge an additional fee for monthly payments.
- Avoid add-ons: While add-ons like breakdown cover and legal protection can be useful, they can also increase your premiums. Be sure to carefully consider whether you really need these add-ons before adding them to your policy.